Salem News Channel

RSS Feed

The Rise of Socialism and Javier Milei's Success

Read More...

The U.S. Had to Deal with Iran

The U.S. Had to Deal with Iran

Read More...

Cubans gather at US embassy in Havana to protest Raul Castro indictment

HAVANA, May 22 (Reuters) - Thousands of Cubans gathered on Friday before the U.S. embassy in Havana to protest a U.S. decision to indict former president Raul Castro over the downing of two civilian airplanes 30 years ago. The pro-government demonstration, which began shortly after sunrise on Havana's waterfront, came as Cuban officials rallied this week around the island's revolutionary hero. The 94-year-old elder statesman was not present. Cuban lawmaker Gerardo Hernandez, a national hero and former spy, conveyed a message thanking the Cuban people and friends around the world for their solidarity. "As long as I live, I will remain at the forefront of the Revolution, with one foot in the stirrup," Hernandez quoted Castro as saying. Thousands of Cubans waved flags during the nearly hour-long rally, chanting "Viva Raul!" and "Patria o Muerte (Homeland or Death)!". President Miguel Diaz-Canel and Prime Minister Manuel Marrero attended the rally, as did several of Castro's family, including daughter Mariela Castro, son Alejandro Castro and grandson Raul Rodriguez Castro. Rodriguez Castro, known in Cuba as "Raulito" (Little Raul) or "El Cangrejo" (The Crab), often serves as his grandfather's bodyguard and met last week with CIA Director John Ratcliffe during a rare visit by a U.S. spy chief to Havana. Mariela Castro, interviewed shortly after the protest, told Cuban state-run media that her father was doing fine. "Raul is doing very well, very calm, like an old guerrilla fighter; he observes and smiles. He always said: 'No one takes me alive; they'll catch me fighting,'" she said. Cuba says Castro's indictment on murder charges on Wednesday was based on "spurious" allegations designed to serve as a pretext to invade as President Donald Trump's administration pushes to upend the island's government.

Read More...

Sinkhole Expected To Keep NYC's LaGuardia Runway Shut Down Until Saturday

May 22 (Reuters) - The closure of one of the runways at New York's LaGuardia airport, which was caused by a sinkhole on Wednesday, is expected to continue until early Saturday, snarling flights for the busy Memorial Day travel period, the airport authority said. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages New York City area airports, said inspections using ground-penetrating radar on Thursday identified potential areas of concern on the runway that were repaired, and engineering crews are conducting additional inspections on Friday. Crews expect to complete surveys and any repairs by 6 a.m. on Saturday. About 150 flights, or 13%, have been delayed as of 9 a.m. on Friday. Hundreds of flights have been delayed or canceled since Wednesday. The Transportation Security Administration expects around 18 million air passengers over the Memorial Day holiday travel period, which typically marks the beginning of the busy summer travel season.

Read More...

Trump Says He Will Not Attend Son Donald Trump Jr.'s Wedding

WASHINGTON, May 22 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he would not attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., to Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, because he has to stay in Washington for government business. "While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so," Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social. "I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time," the post continued. The wedding happens this weekend on a small island in the Bahamas, CNN reported on Thursday, citing two people familiar with the plans.A spokesperson for Trump Jr. did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Trump told reporters on Thursday that Trump Jr. wanted his father to attend, but that it was going to be a "small private affair." Trump said then he would try to make the wedding, but the timing was bad for him. "I have a thing called Iran and other things," Trump said on Thursday. The Trump administration has been engaged in diplomatic talks mediated by Pakistan aimed at securing a deal to end the war with Iran that the U.S. and Israel began on February 28. Trump had originally planned to spend the night at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, on Friday after an event in New York’s Hudson Valley, but he will now return to the White House, according to a change in his public schedule released on Friday afternoon. Trump Jr.'s engagement to Anderson is his third. He was married to his previous wife, Vanessa, a former model and actress, for 12 years, and they have five children together. Vanessa filed for a divorce in 2018. He was later engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, a U.S. television personality, until they separated in 2024.

Read More...

Vanessa Trump Announces Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Earlier this week we learned that Don Trump Jr.'s first wife, Vanessa Trump, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. the 48-year-old disclosed her diagnosis Wednesday on Instagram. She said she is "focused and hopeful" and surrounded by the support of her family. Vanessa Trump and President Trump's eldest son have five children together. Vanessa is currently dating golf legend Tiger Woods.

Read More...

It's Just Performance Art

It's Just Performance Art

Read More...

If We Make a Deal, We Surrender...

If We Make a Deal, We Surrender...

Read More...

Ken Martin's Days as DNC Chair Are Numbered

Ken Martin's Days as DNC Chair Are Numbered

Read More...

It's a Guessing Game with Iran

It's a Guessing Game with Iran

Read More...

Trump Promotes His Tax Law In New York

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is heading to one of the most competitive congressional districts in the country to test his midterm economic message. He plans to appear in New York with GOP Rep. Mike Lawler, who is up for reelection in a closely watched House race. The event focuses on promoting the tax law Trump signed last year, which expanded the state and local tax deduction. Trump established the SALT cap in 2017 through his Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Lawler, one of three House Republicans representing a district that backed Kamala Harris in 2024, has embraced Trump to energize GOP voters. The White House says Trump will highlight his record of making life more affordable for working families.

Read More...

Paxton Makes Final Pitch In Texas Senate Race Against Cornyn

DRIPPING SPRINGS, Texas (AP) — Ken Paxton is playing up President Donald Trump's endorsement as the Texas attorney general heads into the final days of U.S. Senate primary runoff against incumbent John Cornyn. Paxton opened a recent event by talking about the endorsement. He also criticized Democratic nominee James Talarico, who's awaiting the winner of Tuesday's election. The race is the latest campaign where Trump is encouraging voters to oust a politician who's displeased him and elect a challenger more aligned with the president. Cornyn and his allies argue that Paxton's history, including an acquittal in an impeachment trial, will hurt the GOP in the general election.

Read More...

Rubio Reports 'Slight Progress' In Iran Talks As Pakistan Army Chief Renews Mediation Efforts

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says “slight progress” has been made during talks with Iran. Rubio made the comment Friday as Pakistan’s army chief traveled to Tehran in a renewed effort to mediate a peace deal and uncertainty loomed over whether war will resume. The secretary of state's remark comes days after U.S. President Donald Trump said he was holding off on a military strike against the Islamic Republic because negotiations were underway. Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could end if Iran does not make a deal.

Read More...

House Judiciary Committee Holds SPLC Hearing

With Harriet Hageman, representative for Wyoming's at-large congressional district.

Read More...

Kevin Warsh Replaces Jerome Powell As Fed Chairman

WASHINGTON, May 22 (Reuters) - Kevin Warsh was sworn in as chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve on Friday at a pivotal moment for an American economy where surging gasoline prices due to the Iran war are pushing up inflation and eroding consumer sentiment, potent ingredients for a policy dilemma with political implications. Warsh, wearing a dark suit and tie and accompanied by his wife, Jane Lauder, heiress to the Estee Lauder fortune, was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas after a lengthy introduction by President Donald Trump. The White House's East Room was peppered with top cabinet officials, including Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, and longtime friends of Warsh, including former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Trump, who has been incessant in his criticism of former Chair Jerome Powell for not slashing interest rates, said Warsh would have the "full support of my administration" and wanted him to be "fully independent" in his new role, but also urged him to recognize that "growth does not mean inflation." Calling it the "honor of a lifetime to be called back into public service," Warsh, in brief comments afterward, said: "To fulfill this mission, I will lead a reform-oriented Federal Reserve, learning from past successes and mistakes, both escaping static frameworks and models and upholding clear standards of integrity and performance." Awaiting him is an unfolding boom in AI technology that is reshaping the economy in ways Fed officials say could be profound for workers, companies and consumers, but will be hard for Warsh and his colleagues to assess in real time. At the same moment, inflation is high and potentially heading higher as the economy copes with shocks including oil driven over $100 a barrel by the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran, high import tariffs, and utility and other costs rising due to the AI rollout. Underscoring both the political and economic stakes, the University of Michigan's Surveys of Consumers on Friday showed consumer sentiment fell to a record low, with optimism among Republicans and independents dropping to the lowest level of Trump's second term. "Our mandate at the Fed is to promote price stability and maximum employment," Warsh said. "When we pursue those aims with wisdom and clarity, independence and resolve, inflation can be lower, growth stronger, real take-home pay higher, and America can be more prosperous - and no less important, America's place in the world more secure." WALLER: DROP 'EASING BIAS' The debate over Fed policy is already at a high pitch, with Fed Governor Christopher Waller, a Trump appointee who interviewed for the job Warsh won, on Friday making a significant turn in his own thinking and agreeing with a group of recent Fed dissenters that the central bank should drop the "easing bias" from its policy outlook and open the door to a possible rate hike. With recent data showing inflation broadening and intensifying across the economy, the Fed should "make it clear that a rate cut is no more likely in the future than a rate increase," Waller said shortly before Warsh was sworn in. The comments drove market bets on a rate hike as soon as October. Warsh, 56, won Trump's backing for the job over a year-long public audition by the top candidates. In that span, the new chair laid out ambitious reform goals for a central bank he argues had begun to lose its way by the time he quit his former seat as a governor in 2011 in opposition to Fed bond-buying. Now, though, his first months may be consumed with the more pressing dilemma of whether to raise interest rates to keep inflation from moving further beyond the Fed's 2% target, or to put his credibility as an inflation fighter at risk from the outset. "Inflation is the Fed's choice," Warsh said at his Senate confirmation hearing, with its control over short-term interest rates a lever it can use to boost or discourage spending, and in doing so try to keep inflation at the Fed's target. The Fed has missed its target for more than five years and is currently more than a percentage point above it. HARD CHOICES How to get inflation back down can involve hard choices that sometimes conflict with the policies and goals of the Trump administration, and sometimes with the Fed's other aim of maximum employment. Warsh will be looking over his shoulder from the start of his term as the Fed's 11th chair - at a global bond market that has begun bidding up interest rates in a sign of growing inflation concern, at colleagues like Waller who have begun setting expectations that higher rates may be needed, and at Trump, who in the past has viewed rate hikes as a political assault on his economic program and been sharply critical of Powell for not lowering borrowing costs. Warsh's comments and approach to ongoing disputes surrounding the Fed, including a coming Supreme Court decision on Trump's so far unsuccessful effort to fire Governor Lisa Cook, will also be watched and compared closely to Powell's staunch defense of Fed independence. The Fed's next meeting is on June 16-17, when policymakers vote on interest rates and a new policy statement, and also submit new economic projections. One of Warsh's first substantive decisions will be whether to submit a "dot" of where he thinks interest rates will be at the end of this year, and in doing so reveal whether his views are not so different from the colleagues he has slammed for "groupthink," or become an outlier with views that could further confuse markets that are already driving up U.S. long-term interest rates.

Read More...

Tulsi Gabbard resigns as Trump's top US intelligence official

WASHINGTON, May 22 (Reuters) - Tulsi Gabbard said on Friday she is resigning from her job as President Donald Trump's director of national intelligence, saying her husband had been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer and that she was stepping away from her role to help him. Gabbard advised Trump of her intention to step down during an Oval Office meeting on Friday, Fox News Digital reported earlier. The resignation is effective June 30, it said. A source familiar with the matter said that Gabbard had been forced out by the White House. In her resignation letter posted on X, Gabbard told Trump she was "deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half." She cited her husband's recent diagnosis with a rare form of bone cancer. "I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming post," she said. In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, Aaron Lukas, would serve as acting director of national intelligence. He said Gabbard had done "a great job" but with her husband diagnosed with bone cancer, "she, rightfully, wants to be with him, bringing him back to good health as they currently fight a tough battle together." Trump has hinted in the past at differences with Gabbard on their approach to Iran, saying in March that she was "softer" than him on curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

Read More...

WHO Chief: Ebola Spreading Rapidly In Congo, Upgrades Risk Assessment

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — The head of the World Health Organization says the Ebola outbreak in Congo is spreading rapidly and poses a “very high” risk at the national level. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the U.N. health agency has revised its assessment of the risk within Congo from high to very high. The risk remains high for regional spread and low at global levels. He noted that 82 cases have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with seven confirmed deaths. There are almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths. The situation in neighboring Uganda is stable.

Read More...

Senate GOP Leadership Failure: Time To Replace John Thune

Senate Majority Leader John Thune has once again shown why establishment Republican leadership is failing conservatives and President Trump.

Read More...

NASCAR Legend Kyle Busch Dies Tragically At 41

The passing of this larger-than-life NASCAR star a truly sad and tragic reminder of life’s fragility and the importance of making every moment count.

Read More...

1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Voice of Reason
    4:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    The Voice of Reason is a nationally syndicated conservative talk show that focuses on activism at the local level.
     
  • This Week on Capitol Hill
     
    An Inside Look into the decision-making of the U.S. House of Representatives.
     
  • The Josh Hammer Show
    7:00PM - 8:00PM
     
    Politics, law, and culture collide as Newsweek Senior Editor-at-Large Josh   >>
     
  • Truth Matters
    8:00PM - 9:00PM
     
    Truth Matters with Tom Donahue delivers his take and in-depth reporting on the   >>
     
  • Ark Midnight
    9:00PM - 12:00AM
     
    Hosted by legendary former Coast to Coast AM host, John B. Wells, Ark Midnight   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide